Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Pink Book - A Smallish Introduction


Well, here we are again. Another day, another dollar...or is it another pound?

After thanksgiving, I found myself weighing five pounds more than I did the week before. This was a bit of a shock, for sure! One week, many slices of pie and a reasonably large amount of not-quite-low-carb choices had done more dammage than a trip to cuba, and many small slip-ups had the entire summer!

It was time to get serious. So, I turned to the book that started me down this path of low-carb lifestyle LAST year around this time. The book, Neris and India's Idiot-Proof Diet Guide is a fun, entertaining and INFORMATIVE book outlining their rules for a low-carb way of eating.

I think the things I really enjoy about this book are: It's short, It's detailed in as few words as possible, It's amusing, and it talks to you like your friend would, not like a doctor or nutritionist would.

Basically, this book will guide you through 2 weeks of "hardcore"ish low-carbing, and then a phase 2 and phase 3 plan which you will follow as long as it takes, or in my personal case, for the foreseeable future. The first phase can actually be followed as long as you like though, with no scary health repercussions like atkins, or other similar diets. You will still eat veggies, drink milk, take your vitamins, make healthy meals, etc. There are even some fun things like smoothies (Which factor largely in my weekday morning routine) and some really neat lunch and dinner recipes that ANYONE can cook.

Besides all the information, you get a background on neris and india, why THEY had to lose weight (and not just a few pounds..) and there are various diary entries to say how they felt on their weight loss journey. This is probably to me, the most important part of it all. It made me realize that they are real people who just want a freaking piece of chocolate, just like me. They want (And sometimes do) screw it all up, but can show you how to fix things. And how to deal with being bored or lonely or not knowing how to dress, etc. It's like having a friend you can carry around in your purse! (As I said, it's a small book).

You may ask, "Anne, why the hell are you pitching this book to us? Are you getting something for it?"

Er. No, I'm not. BUT! If someone DID want to, you know, drive a dump truck up to my house full of small, unmarked bills....

No, dear readers. I am simply letting you in on a book that has, at a bare minimum, revolutionized the way I think about food and how I can change my habits. I just wanted to share.

It will also help you get a handle for why I have started this blog. I need movtivation, I need a reason to post, and interesting things to think and write down. Because eating and cooking are a daily part of life, and because I am learning a new way of eating...boom! Inspiration strikes. :)

I would like to invite anyone who is interested in checking out this book to click here for amazon.com or here for chapters.ca. It would be cheapest to order it online (I paid about $18 in chapters. It was a very good $18 purchase.) and honestly, if all you get out of it is a chuckle at their story, well, there you go. There is also a cookbook, but you do not need that to get going. Just get the book, read it, and see if it is right for you.

But it might just be the push you need to take the plunge yourself into losing weight in a pretty unrestrictive way. No meetings, no microwave dinners, no real scary kitchen utensils required. Just a little bit of determination to change your circumstances, and a willingness to be open to new things.

I'm getting there. :) I'd love it if you'd join me!!

p.s., In part, this introduction will help you understand something I am going to start doing on this blog...and that is, journalling as well as posting recipes. My life is pretty crazy so often I re-cook things I've already posted. Hence, bigish time gaps between posts. Or, like right now, I'm waiting on my sister to post my photos so I can blog!! Val, hurry uppppp!!*whine*. So, yeah. What that really means is I may sometimes whine on this blog about my way of eating. Ha ha, lucky readers. Er..I mean...enjoy!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment