Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Great Cheesecake Debate Part 1

So.

I am planning somewhat of a surprise for my boyfriends birthday, at the end of October. I've been scheming since the summer (because I like to have exciting things to look forward to) about what we would do, eat, etc.

I am pretty sure he will never find himself on this blog page, but I won't give the specifics away just in case. In any event, I will need a birthday cake of sorts to mark the occasion.

Only he said he doesn't like birthday cake.

Damn. There goes the betty-crocker-in-a-box plan.

So I tried to ferret out of him what he WOULD like, and it was an ice cream cake, or a cheesecake.

Sadly I'm not going to be able to option #1 do to my secret and nefarious plans. But a cheesecake is doable!!

Now here's where the low-carb aspect comes in. I COULD be a good girl and be oh so good at supper, and provide low-carb desserts for the birthday part. (did I mention this is a party for 2? :) I could find a low-carb cheesecake recipe, and I could bring white wine, or low carb coolers for the drinks. (and diet coke, etc.)

OR, I could not...and do a really good cheesecake recipe like this one and just try to not go insane, but you know, enjoy! Not worry about it!

Normally I am definitely in camp #2, which is the "forgeddaboutit, it's a birthday!" camp. But I am also in the camp of...everything tends to turn into a celebration and a cheat day, and therefore it becomes hard to not cheat. I've been stuck at my current weight for way too long after doing so well at the beginning of the year. I know it's because I cheat too much.

Hence the internal debate... To cheat, or not to cheat, that is the question.

Why does it matter you ask? "Stick to the plan!" I hear some of you yell.

Well.

Option A: Eat full fat, awesome cheesecake, have what we want for dinner, make some other treats. Suffer the consequences of possible poundage!

Option B: Eat a modified cheesecake (possibly awesome as well, unsure as I've never made one), have good but low carb choices at dinner (I.e. skip the potato) and have low-carb drinkies. Possibly suffer minor consequences, but more importantly, possibly suffer awful, cardboardy cheesecake.

SOLUTION:

TAAAASTE TEST!

I will make This Strawberry Cheesecake which my friend Mishky touts as the best cheesecake EVAR, with 37 carbs per 1/16 of the cake as your serving.

I will also make this This Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake which is low-carb, and sounds delicious and fancy looking!

And we'll see which one goes over best.

The problem will be to do this when the boy isn't around...

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment